When preparing for a job interview don’t forget to include important interview questions in your career guide. These questions should be divided into two groups; questions you should ask and questions the interviewer could ask you.
Though there is no set formula for questions interviewers will ask, there are basic ones you can prepare to answer. The questions you should ask depend heavily on your knowledge of the position, the company and what you want or need in terms of fulfillment and compensation.
It is also suggested to be tactful with the order in which you ask your questions. Don’t let the first words out of your mouth be, How much are you guys gonna pay me? Be professional and courteous. Let your initial questions reflect interest in the position and company. Here are questions to consider adding to your career guide when preparing for an interview.
Questions to consider asking during a job interview:
• How did this position become available?
• What accomplishments would you like to see within this role?
• What were the major strengths and weaknesses of the last person who held this job?
• What would you consider to be the most important aspects of this job?
• Could you describe a typical day or week in this position? What are the expectations for this position?
• How many people are in the department for this position? How many people are on the team for this position?
• How long has this position been open? What is your time frame for filling his position?
• What are some examples of the achievements of others who have been in this position?
• What do you see in my personality, work history or skill set that qualify me for this position?
• Are there growth opportunities involved with this role?
• What are the next steps in the interview process?
• When can I expect to hear back from you?
Questions you may be asked during a job interview:
• Tell me about yourself.
• Why do you want to work for this company? Why do you want to work in this position?
• What contributions can you bring to our company?
• Why should we hire you instead of another candidate with similar qualifications?
• What are you strengths and your weaknesses?
• What are your short term and long term professional goals?
• How long do you see yourself working for this company?
• Where do you see yourself in five (or ten) years from now?
• What do you look for in a job, i.e., responsibilities, hours, co-workers, managers etc.?
• What do (did) you like the most and the least about your current (last) position?
• Why are you leaving (did you leave) your present (last) job?
• What is your compensation requirement as far as salary and benefits are concerned?
• Describe a situation where you had to work under pressure to solve a problem and what was the result?
Don’t blow your chances during an interview and miss out on a good opportunity because you can’t answer or ask questions properly. Our career guide offers additional interview etiquette to help in your job search.
Want more information to improve your job search? Check out our Job and Career Guide page with more My Career resources.