Having the right resources for a balanced diet can drastically improve your health. On this page we’ve compiled several resources for optimum health to help you have a balanced diet.
No matter what your health or weight loss goal may be, know that you can reach it. Remember it takes 21 days to form a habit and 30 days for your body to adjust to a new routine. If you can make it to 30 days, you can definitely reach your goals.
This section of our Balanced Diet page provides lists of top diet plans, diets for women, diets for men and diets for kids. We’ve provided this list to provide a variety of options for our readers, not because we’ve tried each diet.
When selecting or creating a diet for yourself, remember the important thing is to decide based on your specific body, lifestyle and emotional needs. What works for one person may not work for another.
Here are three successful top diet plans. They are not in order of recommendations, just alphabetical. Please click the link at the bottom for a full list of top diet plans.
The full name for this diet, Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, is used to lower or control high blood pressure. The DASH diet contains foods that are lower in sodium. A key goal is to include foods that are rich in nutrients that are also associated with lowering blood pressure — potassium, magnesium and calcium.
The principles of the Sonoma diet from author and dietitian Connie Guttersen, are based around the Mediterranean Food Pyramid. Enjoyment of food, gourmet cooking, and moderate portion sizes are the keys of this diet.
Weight Watchers has been well known and popular many for years. It’s based on a points system. Foods are assigned point values, and each day you need to stay within your daily points allowance.
We’ve complied 20 top diet plans for you to choose from. To read more about all twenty top diet plans, please click below.
1. Nuts – are another delicious and filling treat. The more nuts you eat, the less hungry you are and the less you binge on unhealthy snacks. Non salted almonds are your best choice for healthy nuts.
2. Berries – are rich in antioxidants and fiber. You knew that already. But did you know they are also very filling? Yes, berries are a part of the elite foods that fill you up in addition to providing nutrition to keep you healthy and energetic.
3. Papaya – believe it or not has more vitamin C than an orange. Actually it has about twice as much vitamin c. Papayas are high in digestive enzymes and they will fight against gallbladder disease. Like most fruits, papayas are high in fiber, low in calories and will fill you up.
1. Tomatoes – are high in the antioxidant Lycopene. This is good news for men because Lycopene aids in the prevention of prostate cancer. Studies have shown that cooked tomatoes carry larger amounts of this important antioxidant, so don’t pass on the sauce guys.
2. Brown Rice – is high in fiber and has ample amounts of B vitamins, magnesium, potassium and zinc. Pay attention guys. Rice is a whole grain and whole grains help support your energy and appetite control all day.
3. Bananas – are high in potassium and potassium helps lower your blood pressure and lowers your risk of having a stroke. They also regulate your nervous system and stimulate formation of red blood cells. Not to mention they’re delicious. You can eat them on the go or slice them up to eat with your cereal.
1. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are easy to feed your kids. Hello? They’re sweet. You can bake them, make spuds or make a delicious soup in the winter. Either way you’re kids are sure to love them. What are the nutritional benefits? Well, they are high in Vitamin A, B6, C and folate.
Raisins are high in fiber, potassium, and vitamins. Everyone’s all time favorite raisin snack is the ants on a log. All you have to do is cut small enough celery sticks, spread peanut butter down the center and then add raisins to the peanut butter. Instant healthy snack!
To add more variety and Vitamin C to your kids’ diets, introduce fresh strawberries to your growing boys and girls. The great thing about strawberries is that they are easy to prepare and eat. Leave a bowl full of fresh, washed strawberries on the counter when your kids get home and watch them disappear like magic!
This is an example of an alkaline meal plan. It is designed to fulfill your daily dietary needs while creating an ideal ph balance in your body. To read and understand more about the benefits of alkaline foods check out Alkaline Balanced Diet.
An egg omelet with vegetables – two eggs, spinach and a red bell pepper. For a quick meal consider making a green smoothie.
Basmati rice served with stir fried or steamed vegetables. For non-vegetarians, replace the rice with grilled chicken.
2-3 servings of fruit; almonds; pumpkin seeds; dried fruit or two hard boiled eggs with sea salt.
Large garden salad with a protein source (avocado, boiled eggs, your favorite nuts, beans or grilled chicken).
For more meal plans that are not alkaline based please click below.
Sometimes snacking can get the best of us. When you’re dieting, bad snack choices can pose a major problem. So to help you stay on track with better health and positive weight loss results, here are five balanced diet snacks.
1. Natural trail mix. Combine almonds (can be substituted with walnuts or chestnuts), coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and raisins. Protein, protein, protein.
2. Strawberries. As with carrots and flaxseeds, strawberries aid in better eye sight. Strawberries are also considered a cancer fighting fruit.
3. Greek Yogurt is rich in calcium. One serving provides almost a quarter of your daily calcium requirement and has double the amount of protein compared to regular yogurt.
4. ½ an avocado. This super food provides a myriad of nutrients including; potassium, magnesium, folate, protein, fiber, and vitamins B6, E, and K. Avocados also help reduce the risk factor for heart disease and infertility.
5. Ants on a log. Celery sticks with peanut butter with raisins. Celery is another cancer fighting agent and peanut butter is high in protein.
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women. Knowing what your correct is supposed to be based on your height will help you monitor and improve your diet. Here are two popular BMI tools.
|Height:|| ft |
When striving for good health and weight loss using a balanced diet, exercise will make the process more successful. Here are five simple exercise tips that will go hand in hand with your workout routines.
1. Start Slow! If you’ve never worked out or haven’t done so in a long time start out slow. Walking for about 30 minutes each day will do wonders for your circulation, heart rate, sleeping habits and burning calories.
2. Don’t go it alone. Almost everything in life is better when done with someone else. Workout routines are no different. Enlist the assistance of your spouse, significant other, best friend, co-worker, neighbor or family member. The time will fly by!
3. Do Something You Enjoy. Don’t feel you have to create strenuous workout routines that are burdensome or overwhelming. You can start out small or just do something simple, easy and maybe even fun. Walking, dancing, bike riding and even cleaning house are all easy ways to keep it close to home.
4. Always Begin with a Warm Up. Warming up your muscles is an important part of all workout routines. Stretching will help prevent damage to muscle tissue. It also gets your blood flowing and your heart pumping. Five minutes of stretching will start your exercise session off on the right foot.
5. Reward yourself! There’s nothing like positive reinforcement. No matter how small the reward, treat yourself to something nice when you reach your work out goals. Treats can include a massage, a new item of clothing or even a delicious fruit smoothie.
Seasonal Workout Routines
Seasonal workout routines are great for regions where the climate changes every season. Additionally, it’s important to adjust your exercises to fit the outside temperatures. Here are a few seasonal workout routines you can use this year.
All forms of exercise releases endorphins. These hormones produce feelings of happiness, optimism and well being. Who wouldn’t to feel good? Exercise will also relieve stress, relax your mind and body and improve your confidence. Sometimes getting away from the hustle and bustle of life just for one hour is all you need to recharge.
Sledding – provides a full body workout that focuses on your core and your abs. You have to use your arms, back, legs, chest and shoulders…More Winter Workout Routines
Circulation Workout Routines: toe reaches, waist twists, leg stretches, window washers, running in place, calf stretches and jumping jacks are all a great way to work out without doing a full workout…More Spring Workout Routines
Walking – is one of the best summer activities. It’s free and it’s easy. You can walk at any time, by yourself or with other people…More Summer Workout Routines
Raking Leaves – is a simple but effective workout. It’s a great activity that targets your upper body strength with some cardio thrown in the mix…More Fall Workout Routines
Indoor and Outdoor Workout Routines
Workout routines that work for you may not work for another person. There are advantages to exercising both indoors and outdoors. Outdoor workouts provide fresh air – which is a great way to clear your head.
Indoor workouts are great in the winter and if done at home, give you privacy. Here are a couple workout routines you can use indoor and outdoor that will help you burn calories and stay tone.
DVD and YouTube Workouts
Renting workout DVDs from the library or watching YouTube workout routines is totally free and super easy to use. You can start with 15-30 minutes a day and increase that as your endurance grows. This will provide variety in your exercise workout and can be done at home alone or with other people.
Running in Place
Running in place provides variety, increases your heart rate, improves blood circulation and warms you up for other exercises. If you choose to run outdoors, please don’t run on concrete. This will cause joint and knee problems.
Water Bottle Weights
For a good arm, shoulder, and back workout, fill up one gallon water bottles. Tailor the exercise to your own level by filling the bottles to the exact weight that is ideal for you. You can start off with two half full bottles and work your way up to two completely filled bottles.
1. Hiking – helps you to build strong, attractive legs as you explore the great outdoors.
2. Gardening – provides an all around workout due to the variety of bending and twisting.
3. Tennis – works out your arms, shoulders, and back muscles.
Solo vs. Group Workout Routines
Workout routines are far more successful when done with another person or a group. There is a sense of obligation when you are held accountable for attendance, you will also have companionship while you workout.
The emotional support and positive energy from your partner(s) will motivate and encourage a long term commitment to continue your workout routines.
Some people are self conscious and don’t like to exercise in front of others. However, if you’re serious about improving your health, losing weight or exercising regularly, then please consider working out with at least one other person.
Test it out for one week and you will notice a difference in your mood, your habits and your performance. Then go back to your normal workout routines by yourself and decide which is best for you. Read your motivation to lose weight here.
A balanced diet goes hand in hand with weight loss. Whether you’re interested in rapid weight loss or long term weight loss, there are certain foods you should avoid and others you should incorporate in your diet. For a list of balanced diet foods for weight loss that will help you reach your health goals please also visit our Balanced Diet Snacks page.
The following are diet plans geared towards rapid weight loss and diet tips for long term weight loss.
7 Day Diet – is a diet that promises weight loss in seven days. Dieters can lose 10 pounds in those seven days if they stick to the strict diet that utilizes a different food group each day. Click on the diet name for more information.
Cabbage Soup Diet – is a fad diet promising weight loss of 10-15 pounds in seven days. You are required to stick to the small list of foods on alternate days along with two bowls of cabbage soup daily. Click on the diet name for the Cabbage Soup diet plan and recipe.
The Master Cleanse Diet – was made famous most recently by Beyonce Knowles, who lost 20 pounds on the diet in preparation for the movie Dream Girls. This completely liquid diet promises weight loss in ten days and has been around for over 50 years. It is also known as the Lemonade Diet and the Maple Syrup Diet. For directions, ingredients, side effects and more information on the Master Cleanse diet, please click on the diet title.
1. Commit to Reaching Your Goals
Commit to reaching your health, diet and weight loss goals. If you stop when you lose X amount of pounds, chances are you will gain them back without a consistent diet. Your health is a part of your long term lifestyle.
2. Create a Mantra or Mission Statement
Create your own personal mantra or mission statement to encourage your daily success. Positive affirmations are a great and catchy way to remind yourself of your health and weight loss goals. For example: Moments on the lips, forever on the hips; Healthy food promotes a good mood; A healthy cook has a good look.
3. EAT Breakfast
As soon as you awake, drink 12 oz of water. Eat breakfast within one hour of getting up each morning. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it gives you energy to start the day and it will prevent inappropriate snacking – not to mention those embarrassing stomach gurgles during the 10AM meeting.
The food combining rules listed above are a great way to start your journey to better health and digestion. The following balanced diet tips will help you develop, maintain and succeed with your diet. Please read through them and see which tips will make a difference in your life.
1. Drink more water. Thirst can easily be confused with hunger. Many people eat or snack when in fact they are thirsty. Water causes your body to raise the temperature of the water to your internal body temperature, hence burning calories. By drinking 12 oz of water each morning and before each meal, you can burn 200 calories a day. By adding freshly squeezed lemon juice you will also create a more alkaline environment in your body.
2. Focus on whole, plant-based foods. Fill most of your plate with fruits and leafy green vegetables. Also include a variety of whole grains, beans, and legumes to give you filling fiber and keep you going throughout the day. Try to find minimally-processed or locally-grown foods whenever possible and make these foods the mainstay of your diet.
3. Snack on fruits. Sometimes you just want something to munch on. We get it. How about snacking on fruits that are finger foods instead of chips or other defeating foods? Strawberries, grapes, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries and dried fruits are awesome finger foods. You can wash them as soon as you bring them home and leave them in a Tupperware container for easy access.
Do you have questions or feedback about any balanced diet information written above? Tell us about your health and diet goals. Who knows…your comment maybe what someone else needs to read.
Note: As with all diets always consult your doctor before starting any new program, especially if you’re aware of any existing medical conditions or diseases.