The most common health complaints such as colds, coughs and headaches are mostly responsible for visits to the family doctor. However, many of these can be treated faster and effectively with home remedies and prescription medicines.
Below are the minor ailments and conditions that many people are afflicted with and the most effective treatments to cure them at home:
Most headaches are not potentially dangerous and are usually relieved with relaxation techniques, lifestyle changes and medications.
- Paracetamol or other anti-inflammatory painkillers usually work well to relieve a headache caused due to over exertion or stress.
- Drink plenty of non alcoholic fluids and avoid caffeine drinks like coffee and cola.
- Most headaches disappear in a few hours. However, contact your doctor if the headache worsens or if new symptoms develop.
2. Common Cold and Cough
In most cases, a blocked nose or cough disappear in a few days without treatment once the body fights the virus that causes infection.
- Decongestant medicines may help in relieving nasal blockage by reducing soreness of blood vessels in the nose.
- Inhale steam from a bowl of hot water with eucalyptus oil or menthol crystals can loosen and soften mucus build up in the nose.
- Drink plenty of non alcoholic fluids, water being the best.
- Drink mixture of lemon and honey in hot water to cure cough.
Consult your family doctor if you have cough or cold for more than two weeks.
3. Sprains and Strains
Most of the strains or sprains can be treated by using natural therapies and herbal remedies:
- Try to stay mobile with a sprain unless you have a severe ankle sprain because the injury heals faster if you move the joint as soon as you are able to.
- Follow the following tips: rest, protection, ice, compression and elevation.
- Avoid alcohol, hot baths, massage and running for the first three days after you get a sprain.
- If you have pain from a strain or sprain use of paracetamol in the first place. In some cases a stronger painkiller like codeine which is to be had only by prescription may be necessary.
The length of recuperation time of a muscle strain depends on the injury. Seek medical treatment immediately if it is difficult or impossible to move or if you feel numbness or tingling.
Acne is the painful spots and bumps on the skin that are noticeable not only on the face but can also appear on the back, shoulders and buttocks.
- Avoid picking or squeezing the spots as it may cause inflammation and lead to scarring.
- Use a mild face wash or antibacterial soap which can be purchased from a pharmacy.
- Avoid use of makeup and foods like fried foods that can aggravate acne.
- Mild acne is treated with gels or creams containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid.
If the counter treatments do not help, treatments are available by prescription.
5. Constipation or Indigestion
Changing your diet may be all that is needed to cure constipation without medication.
- Excess weight, smoking, alcohol and going to bed with a full stomach can contribute to indigestion.
- Add more fibre to your diet such as vegetables, fruits, whole grain bread, nuts and oat seeds.
- Drink lots of water and avoid alcohol, caffeine and carbonated beverages.
- Regular exercise is effective in decreasing the risk of constipation and indigestion.
- If change in lifestyle and diet is not effective try oral laxatives available in the pharmacies.
6. Back pain
Most cases of back pain can be treated with prescription medicines and self-care and assistive technologies.
- Use acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain relief.
- Hot water bottles or gentle massage can also help in relieving the pain.
- Wrap a bag of frozen ice in a towel to make your own cold compression pack.
- When sleeping on your side put a small pillow under your knees and while lying on your back make use of some firm pillows for supporting your knees.
- It is important to maintain mobility within reason by including work in daily activities.
If your back pain is not better after two weeks of remedies at home, consult your doctor.
Every culture has it’s own remedies for treating the common diseases at home that have proven to be effective time and again. So next time you suffer from minor illnesses, try these remedies before rushing to your doctor!
- License: Image author owned
This is a guest post. Sammy JayJay writes for leading natural health sites on the web. For more information on natural health, please see: http://homeremedieslog.com.