How Dangerous Is Household Mold?

Written by on October 21, 2013 in Lifestyle - No comments | Print this page

|

Mold spores are literally everywhere, and this means that when the environment is right, colonies of mold can grow very quickly and easily. In the home, this often happens in places that are moist and poorly ventilated, such as the bathroom or kitchen, and areas that don’t get seen or cleaned very often, like the basement.

Mold in the home is a fairly common thing, but lately there have been a lot of stories in the news about how ordinary household mold can cause all kinds of health problems, and may present a serious risk to you and your family. Here we take a look at the facts about mold and what you need to do if you notice it in your house:

Is Household Mold Actually Toxic?

There have been a lot of quite shocking stories floating around about people who have become very sick as a result of living in a house that has mold growing in it. While this is something that does happen, it is very rare for mold to actually be poisonous to humans or our pets.

There are thousands of types of mold and very, very few of them are toxic, and of those that tend to grow in houses as a result of dampness, it is extremely unlikely you will find a poisonous strain. However, the problems usually arise because somebody has an allergy to the mold that is in their house.

Mold allergies are quite common, and if somebody is sensitive to mold, especially common black mold, they can have all kinds of reactions, including serious respiratory issues and flu like symptoms.

These can be especially prevalent in children and the elderly, and often a person won’t know in advance that they have an allergy and so they may not know what is wrong with them, especially if the mold in the home is concealed somewhere like the basement and hasn’t been discovered yet.

What Should You Do About Mold In Your Home?

If you have found some mold in your house, or if you suspect mold may be to blame for some symptoms someone in your family is experiencing, then it is important to get rid of the offending mold straight away.

If it is just a small patch and it isn’t too dense, you can usually remove it yourself with some strong cleaning products and some elbow grease, however if the mold problem is bad professional mold removal can be a better option.

If you do attempt to remove the mold yourself on a DIY basis then make sure you wear a mask to prevent mold spores being inhaled, and protect your eyes too as mold and the chemicals used to remove it can be irritating to them.

Household mold is not as dangerous as a lot of the stories you hear make out, but it can be seriously problematic to some people who have a sensitivity to it. If you discover mold in your house, remove it quickly and try and keep the area well ventilated in future to prevent damp which can lead to the mold coming back.

Featured images:

Peter Dylan, the author of this post, is an avid blogger and works for Steamatic, a well-known fire damage restoration company. In his spare time, Peter volunteers as a coach for his son’s high-school hockey team.

|

About the Author

Guest Blogger

This article was written by a guest contributor. You will find their details at the bottom of the post. To submit your own Guest Post to our website, please visit our SUBMIT page for details about adding your article.