Asking your girlfriend to marry you is the biggest moment of both of your lives. When you are ready to pop the question, it’s natural to be a little bit nervous and scared and to worry about botching the big proposal. Of course, you want everything to go perfectly and this can put a lot of pressure on a guy to get it right.
To help make sure your proposal is a magical one and a flub-free event that you and your girlfriend can both look back on with joy in years to come, follow these basic tips for keeping your cool:
- Keep your proposal simple and romantic. Grand gestures can make you nervous and can make it harder to keep your cool. You may feel like you have to live up to some big movie expectations, and there may be a lot that can go wrong. You don’t have to make some huge romantic gesture like hiring a skywriter or putting the proposal up on the scoreboard at a sporting event (which is rarely a good idea anyway). The proposal and the ring is the grand gesture. Just be yourself and do something normal that you and your girl will consider romantic.
- Carry out your proposal as planned without a lot of second-guessing. Once you come up with an idea for when, where, and how to propose, go ahead with the plan and don’t change your mind or rethink things all the time. This will just make you nervous and tense.
- Don’t try to become someone you aren’t. Getting a fancy new haircut or an outfit you’d never normally wear can make you more nervous, as can going to some restaurant or place that you and your girlfriend would normally never set foot in. Pretending to be someone you aren’t is only going to exacerbate your nerves. Your proposal is about you two and should reflect who you are.
- Keep your proposal straightforward and from the heart. You don’t need to be funny or have some amazing speech that came right out of a movie. Whatever you say to your girlfriend when proposing to her should be simple and sincere. If you try to plan some big long speech, there’s a good chance you are going to get nervous about its delivery.
- Remember what is important. The proposal, the ring, and the wedding are all secondary to the fact that you have found someone you truly love and that you want to spend the rest of your life with. When you have found the right person, you know that she will accept you for who you are and won’t judge you if your proposal isn’t 100 percent perfect. Remember that, and remember that even if you do botch the proposal speech or plan, your girlfriend is going to be there for you and you’ll have a great story to tell your grandchildren.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can keep your cool and give your girlfriend the proposal that is perfect for the two of you as a couple.
- License: Image author owned