According to a study, by the end of 2014 750 million people would be reaping the benefits of the cloud technology. This is a huge number considering the fact that the cloud in its current form is merely 5 years old.
As the time wears on this number is only going to increase owing to the advantages cloud have over that existing technologies. But is the transition to the cloud worth all the effort that is put in by the company?
The answer to this question is that the cloud is worth much more than that. Here are the reasons that support my answer:
1. Cost Efficiency:
- This is a time when the economic conditions are far from perfect. The world is still reeling from the effects of the recession of 2008. In such a scenario cloud is the perfect companion.
- The incorporation of the cloud allows the companies to save money on the infrastructure and maintenance expenditures.
- The salary of the IT team also becomes redundant as the hosts provide every bit of the technical support required to run the equipment seamlessly.
- The consumer’s choices have always been volatile and tend to change from time to time. It is mightily possible that the venture a company is running becomes a hit in a few months’ time.
- In such a scenario, the entrepreneur has to spend extra money to increase the supply, by purchasing new equipment and servers, in order to meet the demand. In cloud the scalability of services is very convenient and cheap.
- All it takes to scale up the server capacity is a call to the provider, but in on-premise environment scaling is not that simple.
- Melting of the North Pole ice bergs is a concern for us all. The levels of carbon di-oxide in the air are at an alarming level and if measures are not taken quickly, all of ours future is doomed.
- It was proposed that if we are to survive the global warming, every industry has to reduce its carbon footprint. And cloud helps in just that.
- With the help of cloud, the power consumption goes down as there is no server that will consume electricity.
- The usage of paper also comes down as everything becomes digitalized in a cloud environment.
- For many years it was considered that cloud was very insecure as the critical details of the firms rest with a third party vendor. But now it seems all those fears have quashed.
- It was reported that 60% of the cloud users made the transition because of the robust security provided by the cloud.
- In a cloud environment data is well encrypted, diminishing the chances of breakage and malpractices. Moreover the data centers are protected by the trained professional making it nearly impossible for someone to hijack the servers.
5. Anywhere Anytime Access
- In this age of globalization, one has to travel to different places to get his work done. And not being able to work on your travels is one thing that every businessman hates.
- Cloud allows the access of data on the go. You can update the data on the fly making it highly convenient in comparison to the in house server.
We saw that the cloud is surely the technology that everyone should incorporate in their ventures if they want to maximize their profits with minimal investment. Moreover the effort and capital put in to switch to the cloud is surely going to provide long term benefits.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Andrei Macsin, Group Editor at QuickBooks Cloud Hosting DotNet spends a significant amount of time punching keys at the keyboard and writing about the latest in cloud computing and hosting technologies. When not writing, he prefers to devour various technological magazines and reading fiction.